Saturday, September 11, 2010

Local Woman is a true Confederate Daughter

An interesting article was in yesterday's local newspaper. The attached photo is from this newspaper as well.

It turns out that one of the last 30 remaining daughters of a Confederate soldier lives in Flagler county just north of where I live. Sadie Strickland, 100 years old, is the daughter of William Mitchell Stone. Strickland was born on October 27, 1909 when her father was 67 years old. Unfortunately Strickland is currently in hospice care and according to her family is not expected to live through the week.

I did some very cursory research to try and find information on Ms. Strickland's father. Based upon the article I assumed the family to be from Georgia. Unfortunately the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database lists multiple William M. Stone's from Georgia and several William Stone's from Georgia (armed with information from other sources I did however find Pvt. Stone's record on the site). Fortunately the state of Georgia has Confederate Pension applications online and here I found much information on William Mitchell Stone. He served in the 47th Georgia Infantry Company F. He enlisted March 4, 1862 and was discharged on April 26, 1865 at Greensboro, N.C. The 47th fought with the Army of Tennessee at Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and in the Atlanta Campaign. They also participated in the defense of Savannah amongst other battles. At the time of his pension application Stone owned property worth less than $1,300 with the large percentage of this being in land. He and his wife had a combined income of less than $15 per month. Mr. Stone died due to a strangulated hernia on December 8, 1920. This memorial has been created for Mr. Stone. Mr. Stone's widow filed a Georgia Confederate pension application that may be seen here.  Another possible family clue that I did find was burial information on Unity Turner. This website shows Turner being the husband of Quip Turner and also references her being the daughter of William Mitchell Stone CSA and Margaret Spell. I would assume Margaret Spell to have been Stone's first wife especially considering the age difference between Unity Turner and Sadie Strickland.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder what being one truly is worth, other than as a curiosity. She probably knows less about the war than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll ask a family member in the SCV to send some facts, and certainly while Mother Sadie was not in the war, our great-grandfather sang the songs to her and siblings while not caring to speak much of those hard times. The United Daughters of the Confederacy is a worthy group helping perpetuate facts and memories from that time, together with fellowship of kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Mr. Stanley's snide comment re. the worth of my grandmother being a daughter of a Confederate soldier - yes, it's worth a lot. She heard songs and stories you will never hear from the mouth of a veteran of a war you can only read about, Mr. Stanley. She knew what it was like to pick cotton for 10 cents a day, to walk behind her father as he plowed new earth to plant, to walk to school barefoot in the winter, to depend on God for survival of her family. These things are worth a whole lot, Mr. Stanley. Now I'll ask you - what is it worth for you to know what you know about the war? I'm a reenactor and former officer of two camps of the SCV, so maybe I should be able to understand your misguided pride, but I don't.
    A grandson.

    September 13, 2010 2:47 PM

    ReplyDelete
  4. "our great-grandfather sang the songs to her and siblings while not caring to speak much of those hard times."

    You're right, that's certainly worthwhile. How long did he live to see her grow up, do you know? By the way, I misread the post. I thought she had married a 67-year-old veteran, rather than being his daughter. That makes all the difference in the world.

    "She knew what it was like to pick cotton for 10 cents a day, to walk behind her father as he plowed new earth to plant, to walk to school barefoot in the winter..."

    Well, that's worth a lot. I obviously owe y'all an apology. My remark was based on misreading the post, thinking she had married an old veteran. Misreading things is a hazard at my age (66), and I do apologize.

    In your recollection, Dale, she sounds wonderful. Did she leave behind a diary or any letters recounting what she heard from her father? Anything more you could add here?

    My attachment to the war is primarily as a great grandson of a 13th Mississippi private and as a combat veteran, myself, (Vietnam, MACV, '69) trying to understand it all and, frankly, sharing the bitterness of a losing war. I've been on the Mississippi SCV register for about thirty years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I wonder what being one truly is worth, other than as a curiosity. She probably knows less about the war than we do."

    It would be difficult to find a more brazen example of crude arrogance than what Mr. Stanley has written here. You, sir, owe an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we can all be friends here. Dick has been a loyal reader and has posted numerous positive comments. I believe him in saying he misread the post and it takes a big man to apologize as he has done. Anyway, to the family my sympathies go to you in your difficult time of loss. You've lost an amazing woman and I am glad I've been able to help bring her story to a few more readers.

    I would welcome this conversation to continue if you would like to answer any of Mr. Stanley's questions or feel you would like to add anything about her and her life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, in Texas, they used to say that kids who never picked cotton would never amount to anything.

    Well, I never picked cotton. But I can wish the departed who did Godspeed to a better world than this one.

    ReplyDelete