Trust for the National Mall Launches First-of-its-Kind
Mobile App for World War II Memorial
Mobile App Brings the WWII Memorial to Life with Interactive Learning Experiences
WASHINGTON, D.C. (November 7, 2013) – The Trust for the National Mall, the official non-profit partner of the National Park Service dedicated to restoring and improving the National Mall, announced today the release of the smartphone app for the World War II Memorial. The free app, WWII Memorial, will be available for iOS and Android, and is available for download on iTunes and Google Play beginning today – just in time for Veterans Day.
The WWII Memorial App is a part of the Trust’s 21st Century Learning Initiative to help today’s digitally sophisticated visitors connect with and get the most educational value out of the National Mall.
“Each year the National Mall draws millions of visitors from across the country and around the world to come learn about and experience the history and values of this country,” said Caroline Cunningham, president, Trust for the National Mall. “We strive to reach visitors in many ways, including digitally, as we work to preserve the living history of the National Mall.”
WWII Memorial App Features
The WWII Memorial App enables users to explore the history behind the Memorial and the millions of Americans it honors. The app is designed for visitors to the Memorial as well as those researching information about the Memorial and World War II remotely.
The app has straightforward navigation with easy-to-use features and breathtaking photography of the Memorial. Features include:
· Memorial at a Glance: Learn about the Memorial through a scrolling timeline detailing its construction while teaching users key facts about its architecture (do you know how many pounds of bronze were used to build the Memorial?).
· Operation: Collect: Engage with an interactive scavenger hunt on the Memorial. Complete “missions” in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters, as well as the home front, and learn about the moments that changed the course of history.
· Operation: Explore: Explore the Memorial using an interactive map and learn the meaning and symbolism behind its design as you become immersed in World War II.
· Stories of Service: Experience the first-hand accounts from those who served. Personalize your World War II Memorial experience by selecting from a variety of stories from every state and territory, branch of service, or theater.
· Path to Victory: Follow an interactive timeline detailing the significant milestones of the war – from the bombing of Pearl Harbor to the Battle of the Bulge to Victory in Europe (VE) Day.
· Honoring the Fallen: Through the American Battle Monuments Commission database, users can look up the name of service members who paid the ultimate sacrifice during World War II.
The WWII Memorial App is the first monument-specific app developed by the Trust for the National Mall. Plans are underway to use mobile technology in other areas of the park to help tell America’s story in new and engaging ways that complements the majestic monuments that make up the National Mall.
“Initiatives like this will help to educate a whole new generation about the National Mall and what it stands for,” said Bob Vogel, superintendent of the National Mall and Memorial Parks. “We know that young people are interacting with the world in new ways and that the National Park Service needs to keep up if we are to remain relevant. This app will help us do that.”
The WWII Memorial App was made possible in partnership with The Altria Group, the Dr. Scholl Foundation, the Friends of the National WWII Memorial, and the National Park Service. As supporters of the 21st Century Learning Initiative, The Altria Group and the Dr. Scholl Foundation have contributed more than $3 million to the Trust to develop engaging and interactive education experiences both on the National Mall and online.
Download the WWII Memorial App for iTunes -- http://bit.ly/WWIIiTunes
Download the WWII Memorial App for Google Play -- http://bit.ly/WWIIGoogle
HR24 Quick Time b-roll & sound bites (1920x1080 HD) of Washington, DC middle school students debuting the app for World War II veterans can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eh1xsllk9af531a/oRN-p9PuJr
HD Images of the students and vets can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qbg2mm2jr5jlnp0/-4sq9UQeBO
About the Trust for the National Mall
The Trust for the National Mall is the official non-profit partner of the National Park Service dedicated to restoring and improving the National Mall, while providing new educational and volunteer opportunities that connect the park’s 25 million annual visitors to the National Mall’s rich history. For more information on the Trust for the National Mall, please visit www.nationalmall.org.
The WWII Memorial App is part of the Trust for the National Mall’s 21st Century Learning Initiative, and was developed to enhance the visitor experience with details on the history and meaning of the World War II Memorial and its significance to the American experience.